Last month, ZTE Corporation, one of the major telecommunication supplier and network solution provider, launched a new 5G module in China. The 5G module model number is ZTE ZM9000, which is empowered by the second generation Snapdragon X55 5G Modem-RF System. ZTE announced they completed a 5G data connection with a 5G network through the ZTE 5G module ZM9000.
According to ZTE official sayings, ZTE ZM9000 5G module based on Qualcomm SDX55 platform covers the the 4G/5G frequency band of the three major Chinese operators and supports both NSA and SA networks. It provides M.2 package with encapsulation technology. With the plug-and-play function and dimensions of 30 x 52 x 3.6 mm, the ZTE 5G module can be used in a variety of industrial products, including security protection cameras, 5G 8K TVs, and HD conference terminals.
In addition, the ZTE ZM9000 5G module boasts ultra-low standby power and a wide range of available interfaces. ZTE plans to launch commercial use of the ZM9000 in December 2019. The device will be widely used in the fields of intellectual production, including autonomous driving and remote control systems, preventive maintenance of robotics, HD cameras, industrial gateways and oil production. Those well-known application scenarios, such as UAV, HD live broadcast, 5G 8K TV and cloud storage, will also be upgraded thanks to new 5G modules. More specifications of ZTE ZM9000 are unknown yet.
ZTE is working to expand the application of 5G technology with the transition from individual home systems and live HD broadcasts to innovative scenarios through the commercial implementation of a variety of 5G terminal devices – ZTE Axon 10 Pro 5G and the latest upgarded ZTE Axon 10s Pro 5G, 5G indoor router ZTE MC801, ZTE 5G Module ZM9000 etc.
Actually, many of ZTE’s competitors were already launched their 5G modules, please see below the 5G modules which will also be available in 2020:
Telit 5G module:
Huawei 5G module:
Fibocom 5G module:
Quectel 5G module:
Sierra Wireless 5G module:
SIMCOM 5G Modules:
LongSung 5G module:
A few days ago, Telit launched a new 5G industrial grade WWAN card in M.2 form factor. The model number is Telit FN980m. Based on the Qualcomm Snapdragon X55 5G Modem-RF System, the FN980m data card supports Sub-6GHz FDD/TDD and LTE Category 20 – 7x carrier aggregation. For millimeter wave operation the 5G M.2 data card can be paired with the Qualcomm® QTM525 mmWave antenna module for near-the-ground low power indoor and outdoor applications; it is currently the only 5G data card in the market that is compatible with the Qualcomm® QTM527 mmWave extended-range antenna module for high-mount outdoor applications.
The key specifications of Telit FN980m data card include:
- Telit 5G Module
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon X55 5G modem
- 5G Sub-6 and mm Wave FDD and TDD, SA & NSA operations
- 5G core network Opt. 3a/3x and Opt. 2
- 4G: 7CA, up to 20 layers DL / 3CA UL,256 QAM DL/UL
- 3G: HSPA+ Rel. 8 (DL/UL 42/11 Mbps)
- Data Rates:
– 5G up to 5.5 Gbps DL/2.7 UL Gbps
– 4G up to 2.4 Gbps DL/211 Mbps UL
– 3G up to 42 DL/11 UL Mbps
- GNSS: gpsOne Gen9 L1 band on dedicated RF connector, L5 shared with cellular
- Voice support: VoLTE, VoNR (under evaluation), PCM audio over USB
- 4 antenna connectors for LTE/Sub-6
- 4 mmWave antennas supported
- 5G FR1 Bands: n1, n2, n3, n5, n7, n12, n14, n20, n28, n30, n41, n66, n71, n77, n78, n79
- 5G FR2 Bands: n257, n258, n260, 261
- LTE Bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 26, 28, 71, 25, 66, 39, 29 (DL), 30, 32, 7, 38, 40, 41, 42, 43, 46 (LAA), 48(CBRS), 34, 27
- WCDMA Bands: 5, 8, 3, 4, 2, 1, 9, 19
- 5G 4×4 MIMO support on bands n1, n2, n7, n66, n3, n77, n78, n79, n41 and n30
- 4G 4×4 MIMO support on bands 32, 4, 66, 3, 2, 25, 1, 30, 40, 41, 7, 43, 42, 46, 48
– 1.8/3 V SIM Interface
– USB 3.1 gen2 and 2.0
– PCIe gen3
– Drivers support: Windows 10, Linux
- Electrical & Sensitivity
– LTE/5G sub 6 Output power: -23 dBm (power class 3)
– Supply voltage: – Nominal: 3.3 VDC
- Antenna types: 4x LTE/Sub-6 + 4x QTM525/527
- FOTA Support
- Operating temperature range: -40°C to +85°C
- Dimensions: 30 x 50 x 3.5mm
The Telit FN980m 5G data card is designed for use globally, incorporating support for all scenarios prescribed by the 3GPP for short, mid and long-term deployments of 5G, including non-standalone LTE-5G NR dual connectivity (EN-DC), dynamic spectrum sharing between LTE and 5G, and full 5G NR standalone mode.
The Telit 5G data card enables new opportunities and markets for original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), system integrators and service providers working with industrial routers and gateways, fixed wireless access, professional mobile high-resolution video broadcasting equipment and beyond.
OEMs in North America, Korea and Japan have already selected and designed in the FN980m data card, in application areas including the industrial IoT, enterprise networks and professional video broadcasting. Samples are currently shipping, with commercial shipments following in Q1 2020. Concluding regulatory certifications in multiple countries in Asia with operator and industry certifications expected for Europe and the Americas in Q1 2020.
This data is provided for information only, as a guide to current 5G ecosystem market development and trends. Some devices may be produced in different variants according to supported frequency bands, operator customization, etc. and may therefore not be available in all markets. Shipping dates/commercial availability are not indicated. The status is at April 2019.
5G CPE or 5G Mobile WiFi Router: